Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Point of Retreat (Slammed #2) by Colleen Hoover [Audiobook]

Point of Retreat 
Second book in Slammed series
by Colleen Hoover

I loved Slammed a lot and I really, really enjoyed Point of Retreat. It’s even more special because this is my first audiobook. But though I thoroughly liked this book, there’s something to it that’s keeping me from giving it a much higher rating.

What I liked:
  • The moments between Will and Lake: We all know that these two is our endgame. But that didn’t stop me from wanting to read more of them. They are like the most perfect couple ever! Their relationship is so frickin sweet I felt like I was turning into a pile of goo everytime they had their sweet moments together which is almost literally everytime they were together. I know it's way TOO fluffy and way too cute but somehow, Colleen's magic arranged it to make it seem more spontaneous and uncontrived.
  • Funny dialogues: Between Will and Lake. Will and Kiersten. Kel, Caulder and Will. Kel, Caulder and Lake. Gavin and Eddie. Practically amongst all of them!
  • The kids: Kel, Caulder and Kiersten are so adorable and witty. If this series only has them as characters, I’d still read the whole fricking thing.
  • The slam: Slammed was the one that introduced me to this kind of poetry and it was one of the reasons why I fell in love with the book. At first I thought I wasn’t going to hear more of this in POR but I am really happy to report that the slams in here are even better if not as good as the ones in Slammed.
What I didn’t like:
  • The ex-girlfriend: This one is really cliché. Ex-girlfriend reappearing when the guy is already in a serious relationship. In POR, Vaughn appeared to be Will’s classmate. He didn’t tell Lake. Guess what happens next? I was disappointed with this because I had high expectations with Colleen and I thought that this was very typical.
  • That other cheapshot take on conflict: Because I really thought it was forced. I don’t know if there’s something Colleen wants to accomplish by including it in the plot because for me, the story could have gone along without it. Maybe it’s a compensation for the ex-girlfriend cliché, but regardless, I didn’t buy both.
But like I said, I really had fun reading Point of Retreat in spite of the things I didn’t like about it. I love Colleen’s writing and I love, love, love the characters most especially the relationship between Will and Lake. So sweet and so perfect and so genuine! And so natural too! It didn’t feel forced at all. I’m normally bitter towards that kind of relationship (lol) but I’m rooting for them both as well as Gavin and Eddie. I’m just hoping there’d be no more unnecessary plot in the third book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting